Sunday, September 29, 2013

Thing 18

My twitter feed is https://twitter.com/tt_img.  I set it up during the 2012 election because I'm an elections junkie.  I'd say I'm following a well-balanced group of people from both the right and left.  I also follow a lot of news organization and political blogs.  And, it's a guilty pleasure, but I follow quite a few celebrities for the gossip too.  What I don't do is really follow anyone I know personally or put out my own thoughts or original tweets.  I mostly use it as a tool to get up with the news.

I did a quick search of "education" and found (and added) at least 20 new feeds to my following list.  Most of the them are main-stream educational ones but several are from the reformer camp. To me, it's important to consider what out of mainstream arguments have to say.  Sure, some are going to be way, way, WAY beyond anything I'm willing to go but that doesn't mean good ideas can't come from there.  For example, I think the unschool-movement is completely out of left field and, under most circumstances, does a disservice to children.  That said, I think their point that all too often children's interest in subjects are encouraged not nearly enough is well taken.  Following that type of feed would allow to see those types of points.

As with most things discretion and common sense go long way.  Certainly I'm not responsible for what other people tweet but I am for what I re-tweet.  I'm so responsible for any original content and who I allow to follow my page.  I think, overall, it would be a great way of communicating with students and parents but care should be used.

1 comment:

  1. I just wanted to say that you are correct on the discretion concept. If more people would use common sense then they wouldn't have to find themselves in the position to defend themselves. I would never accept a student as a friend on Facebook at least until the student has graduated. I am now friends with some of my teachers but I just like keeping in touch with them.

    ReplyDelete