Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Thing 15

It may sound silly but I had no idea there were any other wiki besides 'Wikipedia'.  "Everyone knows" that you are not supposed to cite Wikipedia as an authority but there is no such rule against reading it.  When I am trying to find out more information on a topic I often start with a Wikipedia entry which it great for background information and reference cites for other material.  Beyond that, I didn't know that wikis were a thing. 

They are a thing!  They are a great thing!  I spent a big chunk of time wondering around http://resourcesforhistoryteachers.wikispaces.com/.  They are chock full of information for all grade levels.  In particular I liked poked around the political science and economic links.  I think I've said this in other posts but the amount of material available is almost overwhelming.  For just about any subject there are teaching resources for the taking so long as you are willing to put in the tiniest bit of effort.  I'm  sure once I'm in the classroom I will find a million and one things to do but there are lesson plans for all subjects and wiki sites are a terrific place to start looking at a few.

1 comment:

  1. I am with you on the Wikipedia front. Although we are never supposed to use it as a credible source, it is hard to avoid it when looking up quick information. It's just so convenient! :)

    ReplyDelete